Monday, August 20, 2007

Album Review : Jewels & Binoculars The Music of Bob Dylan



Personnel:

Michael Moore - alto saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet, melodica, bells
Lindsey Horner - bass
Michael Vatcher - percussion

Tracks:

I Pity the Poor Immigrant
Fourth Time Around
Visions of Johanna
Dark Eyes
Two Soldiers
Highway 61 Revisited
With God on Our Side
Dear Landlord
Sign on the Window
Percy's Song
Boots of Spanish Leather

Firstly, the Michael Moore here is not the same as the maker of such documentaries as Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine; while this Michael did originate in the U.S., he has lived in Holland for several Years. Also important to note that this is not Michael Moore's band per say, but a collective trio where all musicians are equal.

Secondly, this is perhaps not so much an album review as it is a glorious example of the balance that I seek and know is possible in what is often called "creative music" ( I emphasize the quotes ) as well as a compliment or aside to what I am generally writing about here.


Quite simply, this is one of the best modern "jazz" recordings that I have ever come across. In fact, I am so gung ho about this album that I burnt it for two of my "non-jazz" friends ( I haven't received feedback yet, but that is not the point ) and can be quoted in conversation with another friend as saying "this is album is like me as jazz"!

Why would I even call this music Jazz, that literally has no bits of walking bass, "spang-a-lang" drumming and scalar saxophony? Well, call it whatever you like, but I think this is the first point that makes this date so great: it isn't wrapped up in identifying itself as Jazz or as showcasing the abilities of the players. It is however, a document of three players who appear to be concerned mostly with creating beauty and being in the enjoyment of playing and listening with each other, without the fear of sounding too raw or unpolished.

The choice of Bob Dylan's music here clearly provides a lot of inspiration in its' lovely melodicism ( perhaps not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Dylan ) and simple structure. I am sure fans of Dylan's will enjoy the choice of songs which are a wonderful mix of the songwriter's more obscure popular tunes ( Highway 61, With God on Our Side ) and then some other really obscure tunes ( Two Soldiers, Sign on the Window ) but the point is that the songs were perfectly picked for the session instead of just going with all of the most popular music, although, I am sure that would be great too.

I do not want to get into the details of how great each song is because that is for you to encounter when you listen to it, but I am sure you will find this recording is a work of sincerity, passion, tenderness, humor and joy.

Check out this trio's new album here


Noteworthy moments:

Visions of Johanna - Perhaps the best track on the album! Horner's bass line provides some deep down warmth for Moore's Bass Clarinet to beautifully open the melody and for Vatcher to play some soft and at times reggae-ish grooves.

Dark Eyes - Michael Vatcher's Bells, Shakers and Dulcimer provide a sweet bed for Moore and Horner to explore this simple melody in a rather peaceful, somewhat bluesy and tender way.

Percy's Song.

With Good on Our Side.

Boots of Spanish Leather.


I would love to hear your experience of this recording so feel free to leave comments.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't know this recording at all, but I've never got Dylan (perhaps for the same reasons I don't connect with Bill Frisell, Gregg!!). I know Michael Moore well though and can imagine him thriving in this type of setting. I used to love seeing him a lot with the Clusone Trio, and caught him with Gerry Hemingway too.

I know exactly what you are thinking when you hesitate to call it 'jazz', and agree that ultimately it doesn't matter. At the moment I'm having similar thoughts about Stephan Micus, who until recently I'd dismissed as a New Ager - Athos just blew me away though...

Keep up the thoughtful writes!!

Anonymous said...

Well, it is good to run into another person who is a fan of Stephen Micus. Counting you and I, I know four people who like him. My favourite of his is Darkness and Light. From and inside source though, I hear he is not an easy person to live with.

Unknown said...

Don't know Darkness And Light yet, but since raving about Athos I'm also captivated by Ocean too!!

I imagine he'd be one of those people it takes a special type of person to live with...in fact I imagine he lives in a tower in the middle of nowhere surrounded only by trees!!

Anonymous said...

it is cool.